Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Blog Tour: Monsters Unleashed - Timothy C Hobbs

(Leaving comments in this post will enter you to win free books!!)
When a horror writing friend mentioned a blog hop for one of her fellow writers, I was curious.  When I found out Timothy C. Hobbs was from Texas, I knew I had to join up. Then I read my first short story and I was hooked.  Welcome to my author-stalker page Mr. Hobbs. <Muwhahaha>

The first story I read was The Smell of Ginger, a masterful retelling of Hansel and Gretel set in Jasper, Texas.  I was drawn in by the writing and better yet, I was scared.  The witches (yes, plural) are so evil, I had to get up and turn on all the lights to finish reading.  You know, just in case.  I'm not sure I'll be able to eat gingerbread again for a while.
After a day or so to recover from my baked goods terror, I moved on to The Music Box Sonata.  This novella is Beauty and the Beast set in Texas at the turn of the twentieth century.  Don't misunderstand though, this is not the cute and cuddly cartoon story filled with libraries and ballroom dancing.  This tale is dark and lonely.  And the scariest creatures just happen to be the humans.  The smooth writing pulled me in once again; and once again, I kept the lights on.  Oh - kudos to a writer who can correctly spell and use the word "cain't".  (Yee-ha ya'll)

After these nice dips into the Texas terror pool, I wanted more information on Mr. Hobbs and his upcoming projects.  Below is an interview with the man himself.  Make sure you check out all of his writing and visit Visionary Press for more information on the next leg of the tour! 


Veils
The Pumpkin Seed
Maiden Fair
The Smell of Ginger
The Music Box Sonata
Mothertrucker and Other Stories

Always lived in Texas?
I am a born and raised native Texan.

What are you currently reading?
Charles Frazier’s Nightwoods

How did you get involved in the Visionary Press project?
When the United Kingdom publisher Vamplit Publishing closed, some of the authors, me included, helped form the VP Co-op.

What do you enjoy most about being in a writing Co-op?
The exchange of ideas, the technical and editing advice, and the mutual support and promotion of all the members’ works.

Do you have any upcoming projects in the works for 2014?
I plan to start work on an unfinished werewolf novel I shelved back in the late 1990’s, and I am finishing the edits on a short story collection of previously published and unpublished stories.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I keep a list of story ideas. From that, I will start a project and let the story develop as I go. I have never used an outline.

Do you prefer publishing e-books or print? Which do you prefer reading?
I prefer both e-books and print books as far as publishing goes, but for my own personal reading, I still prefer print books unless the title I’m looking for is only available as an e-book.

Favorite fictional character?
Bertrand Caillet – The Werewolf of Paris

Favorite writer?
Vladimir Nabokov

Favorite Horror Movie?
Angel Heart

Did you have a writing mentor?
Richard Matheson

Favorite writing drink/music/place?
Vodka cocktail/classical/my office

If you could travel in space and time, where and when would you go?
Victorian England

What story or character would you like to re-imagine?
The Little Mermaid (minus the Disney touch). This is actually my next project for the Once Upon a Time in Texas collection, the previous re-imaginings being:  The Smell of Ginger (Hansel and Gretel), Music Box Sonata (Beauty and the Beast), and Maiden Fair (Sleeping Beauty of the Woods).

Any shout outs you want to mention?
Everyone interested in reading good works or submitting their own, be they stories, novels, or art, should give Visionary Press, Sirens Call Publications, Angelic Knight Press, and Netherworld Books (UK) a look. I’ve published with these sights and read material from them and they are all excellent sources.

Did I mention the free book giveaway?  Leave a comment - easy peasy punkin pie. ^.^

5 comments:

  1. So glad to see that Timothy is a pantser. I hate outlines myself, have never used them and never will. Mr. Hobbs does indeed write some chilling tales. I am so glad to see The Smell of Ginger in print now!

    I really enjoyed the excitement in this interview. Sometimes an interview is boring. Not this one. And the lead in to the Q&A was great!

    I'm so impressed with what I see here that I'm joining the Caravan!

    Blaze McRob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the interview and kind comments about my writing.
    It was a pleasure being on your site.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the two stories I read for this hop! Now to go gobble up the rest of your goodies!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Tim and I both belonged to Vamplit Publishing and I call him friend. The Pumpkin Seed is a fantastic read. I'm so glad to see him getting some attention on this tour.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete